14 March 2006

Long shirts and short skirts

I said I wanted to go there. He laughed. I repeated that it was there that I wanted to go. The driver laughed again, but this time not hiding a trace of fear that I was really serious about it. "It's already 10 am, so we'd better start going, right?", I asked trying to put a sad end to his doubts. Already accepting the idea, he just advised me that the Ojunwoye market was a messy place.

Messy? The most complicated of all the labyrinths is a child's game compared to such a place: now I can say that pure anarchy in not an utopia and it does exist on Earth. It exists in Lagos, Nigeria! I'm talking about an endless circulating path strangled by big shops, little stalls, fast selling carts, wooden shelters and cement stained constructions; infested by dust, dirt, stinking odours and terrible mosquitoes; crushed by striking heat and breathtaking humidity; crossed by stagnated highly polluted canals and involved in contaminated rubbish.

A market that has everything one can imagine. We walked in through the detergents area: for the floor, the dishes, the windows, but also the car if you have one, if you don't have, search for one further ahead, and also for your toilet, in case you don't use the beach, that is much cheaper than building a WC, and then you save money for the Johnny Walker Blue Label just right after, or the Chivas 20 years, the William Lawson's, the Port, the gin, vodka or tequila, the Martini, on the rocks is a possibility, because ice is also available, not white anymore, but for white we already have the t-shirts, sweat-shirts, long shirts, short skirts, jeans and jackets, hats and caps. Let's not forget the CDs, DVDs, boredom remedies and other goodies, engine parts, broken equipment for fools and other mechanical tools, from the more complex to the simplest, like that big dirty knife used to cut the raw meat disposed on the dusty floor, but to cut also the fish, the vegetables, the fruit and other hardly called food. When I saw living chickens in cages, I got immediately out of there and got back to the cosiness of the factory.

In the end, I bought a bottle of water, a cutting hair machine, a British old style hat and a Nigerian suit!

6 Comments:

At 15 March, 2006 12:08, Anonymous Anonymous said...

:D You're becoming a regular tuga-style Indiana Jones! Upon hearing your stories I can't quite decide if I'd like to have that life-rush myself or if I'm just relieved to be safe and distant from the regular world in this european cosy bubble of mine...
Take care!

 
At 15 March, 2006 22:14, Blogger Eduardo da Fonseca Joaquim said...

Hummm... Stay in the bubble! It's a free piece of advice! No charge this time!

 
At 16 March, 2006 16:58, Anonymous Anonymous said...

well then, why haven't you?... And what stops you from coming back? will it ever feel right to stay here again, for good?
In my own little corner, the bubble's grey today, menacing rain but not quite. People are utterly uninteresting and there are many more sad or indifferent faces walking around in the streets rather than happy ones.
My bubble's safe, I like my bubble and it is yours too. However, there are still reasons to be happy to be there and away from this, particularly if you can't help but be away from this. Hope u try to keep that in mind.

 
At 17 March, 2006 20:08, Blogger Eduardo da Fonseca Joaquim said...

Will it ever fell right to stay anywhere?
Can I live inside a bubble, knowing there's a world outside?
And when we try to leave the bubble, aren't we just jumping from one bubble to another, doing it so fast that they all end up by looking the same?
Thanks for reminding me of a few things, Luisa! We do need to be reminded sometimes.
Now give me the answers as well, will you? Can you? Come on, make an effort!

 
At 20 March, 2006 11:56, Anonymous Anonymous said...

:o) even if I could - which of course I can't - I wouldn't! Not out of cruelty, but merely because it seems to me that for those with restless spirits there is no definite answer lying outside, but only the one that they find for themselves within, if any. And sometimes the thrill of the search simply makes up for the lack of answers. Doesn't it? ;o)

[Some people look for answers other for questions. All are needed.]

 
At 20 March, 2006 16:58, Blogger Eduardo da Fonseca Joaquim said...

Thrill? Humm... Yeah... Maybe... But I would still like to find my answers! Thanks for the effort, anyway!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home